Re: The Final Word On HTML (fwd)

Carl Morris (
Wed, 25 Sep 1996 23:57:49 -0500

From: "Carl Morris" <>
To: "MegaZone" <>
Cc: "WWW HTML List" <>
Subject: Re: The Final Word On HTML (fwd)
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 23:57:49 -0500

| HTML is not a programming language.
| I want to see you write a simple if-else statement in HTML.  Hell,
| statement that consitutes a logical function.

<OBJECT DATA="hello.png" TYPE="image/png">
	<OBJECT DATA="hello.gif" TYPE="image/gif">
		<P>Damn I tried to get you a graphic but my if-then construct says
that if you don't support GIF or PNG I'll send you this text

That works for me ... and I am sure it works for others ... it may not
work for you ... there is no clear cut definition to a programming
language... the only thing you can even claim is the W3C's mission
behind HTML "we hope that html never .... becomes a programming

I think that was inevitable in that HTML directly controls many
functions of a computer through an interpreted language, you might call
it an application of SGML...

| HTML is a Markup Language, that's it.  Stop trying to use broken
logic to
| claim it is something else.  HTML does *NOTHING* programatically.  It
| up content to give *clues* about how to display things.  The browser
| the program, not the HTML.  Again, claiming HTML is a programming
| is the same as claiming the field delimiters in a database are a
| language.

its nice that it only gives clues, if then statements if you will...
many other languages just aren't this simply...

I still refer to it as a glue...  it glues all this other stuff