Re: Basic ? HTML ?

Walter Ian Kaye (
Wed, 25 Sep 1996 02:30:04 -0700

Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 02:30:04 -0700
From: Walter Ian Kaye <>
Subject: Re: Basic ? HTML ?
Cc: lannyf@JUNO.COM (Lanny A Fowler)

At 6:56p -0700 09/24/96, MegaZone wrote:
>Once upon a time Lanny A Fowler shaped the electrons to say...
>>This is going to sound Crazy to all you great programers but a am a
>>juinior in high school and taking BASIC programing, and i am wondering if
>>i can write web pages in BASIC language ??  If not Can you think of an
>Web pages are written in HTML - that is the nature of the web.
>You could write *CGI* applications that generate HTML in BASIC - in fact
>many people are using VISUAL BASIC to do this on MS systems.

I'm working on some Perl CGIs to auto-generate some AppleScript syntax
pages, and am about to write a FoxPro program to generate a monthly
calendar of events as an HTML table (actually it'll generate two; one
public one private, based on a logical field in the events database). I
love this stuff... :-)

>I started out with Atari BASIC, went to True Basic, then C and C++ and
>then Perl.  But the fundamental logical building blocks are the same at
>the core.

Yep, I started with MS Excel, then went on to FoxPro, WordBasic,
AppleScript, various telecom program scripting languages, and Perl. Once I
clear some HD space for JDK, it'll be on to Java...

>>I think that windows and dos are MUCH SUpior !
>>You know what i mean ??
>Not at all - DOS is a joke, Windows is only slightly less of a joke.
>WinNT is a half-hearted attempt to be serious that I'll grudgingly admit
>is ok for some things.
>Wait until you are out in the world and get to work on powerful systems like

Hehe... no matter how much MacOS vs Windows arguments continue, we all
agree that Unix is cool! <G>