Re: space

Walter Ian Kaye (
Wed, 25 Sep 1996 02:12:03 -0700

Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 02:12:03 -0700
From: Walter Ian Kaye <>
Subject: Re: space

At 3:16p +0100 09/23/96, Peter Flynn wrote:
>   >Isn't this what <PRE> is all about?
>   When I wrote "transmitting source code", what I really meant was
>   "transmitting *pretty-printed* source code". (Sorry I left that out.)
><pre> does this as far as I know. Or did you mean "source code
>pretty-printed and designed to be displayed in a proportional font"?

Yes; proportional fonts do aid in prettifying; boldfacing and italicizing
as well.

At 7:51p +1000 09/24/96, Stuart Young wrote:
>Of course, you could always just have a link on the page for a
>'untranslated file' that they could simply download.

No kidding. The question comes down to this: Is it POSSIBLE for HTML to
display source code unmodified? If not, that's ok -- I just need to know
the answer, whatever it is. Looks like the answer will be "no"...

At 9:19a -0700 09/23/96, William Perry wrote:
>>PRE has the same content model as paragraphs, excluding images and
>>elements that produce changes in font size, e.g. IMG, BIG, SMALL, SUB,
>>SUP and FONT.

I don't think IMG should be excluded, but we already had a thread about
that, so I won't say any more. :-)