Re: end tags...

Carl Morris (msftrncs@htcnet.com)
Sun, 22 Sep 1996 13:21:31 -0500

From: "Carl Morris" <msftrncs@htcnet.com>
To: "Arnoud \"Galactus\" Engelfriet" <galactus@htmlhelp.com>
Cc: "WWW HTML List" <www-html@w3.org>
Subject: Re: end tags...
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 1996 13:21:31 -0500

| > As such, is it incorrect that MSIE fails on the following?
| >
| > <HEAD>
| > 	<STYLE> blah blah style here
| > </HEAD>
|
| STYLE has a required closing tag, and it's not unreasonable that
| MS IE is just skipping the rest of the document as being invalid
| CSS1 instead of HTML markup.

Its just that I noticed that the definition of CDATA in the HTML 3.2
spec states that if either </STYLE> or the closing tag of its container
comes along it marks the end of the CDATA block...  I was wondering how
true to nature that was, and how "REQUIRED" an end tag was... I notice
nothing different between the DTD definitions of <P> and <H1> to
warrant  the difference in handling their end tags...  the only note is
in the HTML specification stating that the closing TAG of the <P>
should be easy to imply by the parser ...  I feel that the closing tags
to almost every thing should be easy to imply... but may not always be
clear to the author... :)