Re: end tags...

In article <199609220340.WAA16225@inet.htcnet.com>,
"Carl Morris" <msftrncs@htcnet.com> wrote:
> Some parts of the specification state that a closing tag is required...
> but I ask that in case of such a closing tag error, is it correct to
> recover by closing such tags:

Well, if a parser encounters syntactically invalid HTML, it's up
to the purpose of the parser. If it is supposed to display or interpret
the document, then you'll have to "fix" the input to make sense of
it. But if you're writing a checker, you can just give a warning
about it.

> As such, is it incorrect that MSIE fails on the following?
>
> <HEAD>
> 	<STYLE> blah blah style here
> </HEAD>

STYLE has a required closing tag, and it's not unreasonable that
MS IE is just skipping the rest of the document as being invalid
CSS1 instead of HTML markup.

Galactus

- --
E-mail: galactus@htmlhelp.com .................... PGP Key: 512/63B0E665