Re: breaking with nonspace characters

Walter Ian Kaye (
Sat, 21 Sep 1996 01:23:03 -0700

Date: Sat, 21 Sep 1996 01:23:03 -0700
From: Walter Ian Kaye <>
Subject: Re: breaking with nonspace characters

At 5:39p -0500 09/20/96, Carl Morris wrote:
>Is there any standard or proposed methods to break words apart between
>characters as if a space had been there only when needed ) (ie:
>suggest) and to suggest that a word could be broken with a hyphen?

How about the <WBR> tag and the &shy; (soft hyphen) entity?

> We also have our own WEB page
>at and at
>/~msftrncs/msftrncs/index.html.=A0 You may also get to the
>ONEFOSsil page directly with
>products/onefossil/index.html and with
>This look more pleasing?  Actually I think browsers could find a rule
>to use here, and do it themselves... what do you think?

You should enclose the URLs within <>'s so that software can parse them:

at <> and at <

Eudora Pro 3.0 recognizes the 2-line URL, thanks to the <>'s; otherwise
it doesn't know to include the second line as part of the URL. This
unambiguates the trailing period, too.

As far as the "/" goes, I think I prefer the break to occur before it
rather than after it.

>The other example...  spell out the word used in "marry poppens" (sure,
>its in the dictionary even I think...), thats pretty long winded...
>lets say it won't fit in a single line on the browser...  how can the
>browser be suggested of the proper points to break it, and place a
>hyphen there when it does?
>no, I am not even going to try to write that word out here.. but we had
>to know how to spell it in the 4th or 5th grade... (it starts

supercalifragilisticexpialidocious  -- only 34 bytes long.

But what's scary is that I do that from memory!
(I cannot, however, spell "umdiddl-iddl-iddl-umdiddl-eye")