breaking with nonspace characters

Carl Morris (msftrncs@htcnet.com)
Fri, 20 Sep 1996 17:39:22 -0500

From: "Carl Morris" <msftrncs@htcnet.com>
To: "WWW HTML List" <www-html@w3.org>
Subject: breaking with nonspace characters
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 1996 17:39:22 -0500

Is there any standard or proposed methods to break words apart between
characters as if a space had been there only when needed ) (ie:
suggest) and to suggest that a word could be broken with a hyphen?

Exmaples:

#1: This is an excert from a document:
information about ONEFOSsil.=A0 The address of this page is:
http://home.aol.com/kiwi7416.=A0 We also have our own WEB page at
http://199.120.83.179/msftrncs/ and at
http://www.htcnet.com/~msftrncs/msftrncs/index.html.=A0 You may also get
to the ONEFOSsil page directly with
http://199.120.83.179/msftrncs/products/onefossil/index.html and with
http://www.htcnet.com/~msftrncs/msftrncs/products/onefossil/index.html

I think you will find this looks pretty bad...  so I would like to
suggest the browser to break like this (at aprox 60 columns):

information about ONEFOSsil.=A0 The address of this page is:
http://home.aol.com/kiwi7416.=A0 We also have our own WEB page
at http://199.120.83.179/msftrncs/ and at http://www.htcnet.com
/~msftrncs/msftrncs/index.html.=A0 You may also get to the
ONEFOSsil page directly with http://199.120.83.179/msftrncs/
products/onefossil/index.html and with http://www.htcnet.com/
~msftrncs/msftrncs/products/onefossil/index.html

This look more pleasing?  Actually I think browsers could find a rule
to use here, and do it themselves... what do you think?

The other example...  spell out the word used in "marry poppens" (sure,
its in the dictionary even I think...), thats pretty long winded...
lets say it won't fit in a single line on the browser...  how can the
browser be suggested of the proper points to break it, and place a
hyphen there when it does?

no, I am not even going to try to write that word out here.. but we had
to know how to spell it in the 4th or 5th grade... (it starts
"super"...)

-|- Carl Morris (N0YUV) -|- 1:285/302 -|- msftrncs@htcnet.com -|-
-|- Hooper Connections BBS -|- 1-(402)-654-2102 -|- 28.8kbps V.34 -|-
-|- http://199.120.83.179/~moreese/ -|-