Re: breaking with nonspace characters

Stuart Young (
Sun, 22 Sep 1996 01:49:55 +1000 (EST)

Date: Sun, 22 Sep 1996 01:49:55 +1000 (EST)
From: Stuart Young <>
To: Walter Ian Kaye <>
Subject: Re: breaking with nonspace characters

On Sat, 21 Sep 1996, Walter Ian Kaye wrote:

> At 5:39p -0500 09/20/96, Carl Morris wrote:
> >Is there any standard or proposed methods to break words apart between
> >characters as if a space had been there only when needed ) (ie:
> >suggest) and to suggest that a word could be broken with a hyphen?
> How about the <WBR> tag and the &shy; (soft hyphen) entity?

I think what Carl was asking for was more of a "If you have to, break it
here", which isn't reallywhat <WBR> is all about is it?

From what I have here (yes it's an old book, who knows, but I can't find
anything anywhere on the web right now that truely defines the <WBR> tag)
<WBR> is for breaking non-breakable HTML elements.

This means things like <NOBR></NOBR> and the like, does it not?

| Stuart Young (aka Cefiar)  - You may be human, but you're still animals! |
| - If you've done 6 impossible things, write HTML |