Submitting Appliet data [was: Refocusing on HTML ]

In message <1.5.4.32.19960904145030.0099b1f0@csclub.uwaterloo.ca>, Paul Prescod
 writes:
>At 04:33 PM 9/3/96 -0600, Greg A. Smith wrote:
>>But a Java component isn't an HTML FORM element.  In order to
>>be used with the HTML FORM methodology, in which the selected
>>OPTION row is communicated back to the application via a NAME=VALUE
>>pair in the query string, the element must be integrated into the
>>existing technology.
>
>That's a good point. I apologize for having not thought it through completely.

Yet another reason to upgrade from <applet> to <object>...

Some folks did think it through:

==========
Inserting objects into HTML
W3C Working Draft 22-Apr-96
This version:
	http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/TR/WD-object-960422.html
Latest version:
	http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/TR/WD-object.html

NAME

This provides a way for user agents which support FORMs to determine
whether an object within a FORM block should participate in the
"submit" process. If NAME is specified and the DECLARE attribute is
absent, then the user agent should include the value of the NAME
attribute and data obtained from the object along with the information
derived from other form fields. The mechanism used to obtain the
object's data is specific to each object system.

Dan