Re: Color Palette Incompatibilities

On Sep 6, 10:46am, David Koblas wrote:

> Nothing is perfect, however it is the standard equation that you
> will see sited in every text on computer graphics.

That is because the CG books wchich cite it are just talking about it,
rather than using it to do real work. There are degrees of imperfection,
and the (1-R) nonsense does not fall into the slightly imperfect
category. In fact, this has been an FAQ on the CG newsgroups for at
least the last five years.

> There is a
> whole realm of calibrated color standards that I'm not going to
> touch.

Whose mammoth complexity is only tolerated because simple-minded conversions
fail so spectacularly and people need to find a better solution.

> However, I think that you will find the majority of people who are
> doing the design work for HTML are much more familiar with print
> colorspaces than the typical person.

This is a very good point. Of course, the same people are using applications
which convert from RGB to CIELAB and thence via complicated look-up tables
to CMYK. People who actually generate CMYK images for a living do not use
the cited equation. But yes, getting back to the names, they are more
likely to have heard of cyan and magenta than the general population.

+33 93 65 79 87            06902 Sophia Antipolis Cedex, France