Re: PROPOSAL FOR A MULTI-COLUMN SELECT ELEMENT WITHIN A FORM FIELD

Daniel W. Connolly (connolly@w3.org)
Tue, 03 Sep 1996 01:46:17 -0400

To: "Greg A. Smith" <gasmith@advtech.uswest.com>
cc: www-html <www-html@w3.org>
Subject: Re: PROPOSAL FOR A MULTI-COLUMN SELECT ELEMENT WITHIN A FORM FIELD
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 1996 01:46:17 -0400
From: "Daniel W. Connolly" <connolly@w3.org>

In message <32271BDE.52FD@advtech.uswest.com>, "Greg A. Smith" writes:
>PROPOSAL FOR A MULTI-COLUMN SELECT ELEMENT WITHIN A FORM FIELD
>
>One of the areas where HTML Forms have tremendous potential is
>as platform-independent front-ends to relational database
>systems.  One thing that has held back this potential is the
>lack of sufficient elements for displaying multi-column
>query results in a FORM field's SELECT element.

Form enhancements are definitely on our "TODO" list:
	http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/MarkUp/Activity

This is an interestig proposal. We have kicked ideas like
this around at length, but we never found something that was
worth the effort of doing. All our ieas seemed overly comples.

But our ideas involved multicolumn editable text, more like
a spreadsheet.

Are you saying all you need is a multicolumn pick list? You
don't need the text to be editable?

That's and interesting idea...

Dan