Re: PROPOSAL FOR A MULTI-COLUMN SELECT ELEMENT WITHIN A FORM

Paul Prescod (papresco@incontext.com)
Tue, 03 Sep 1996 13:46:35 -0400

Date: Tue, 03 Sep 1996 13:46:35 -0400
To: "Greg A. Smith" <gasmith@advtech.uswest.com>, www-html <www-html@w3.org>
From: Paul Prescod <papresco@incontext.com>
Subject: Re: PROPOSAL FOR A MULTI-COLUMN SELECT ELEMENT WITHIN A FORM

At 10:50 AM 8/30/96 -0600, Greg A. Smith wrote:

>The inclusion of the MSELECT element in HTML 3.2 will greatly simplify
>and accelerate the development of HTML database applications.

The multicolumn listbox is a very common device useful for input, output and
data navigation on many platforms. I agree that it is a reasonable extension
to the Web's forms capabilities. Even Netscape uses a device like this for
choosing helper applications (in the Windows version at least). In fact, if
you go through Netscape's entire preferences notebook, this device is the
only one that cannot be done in HTML.

 Paul Prescod