Re: <IMAGE>? <TT> == <I>? toHell(NS)

Foteos Macrides (MACRIDES@SCI.WFBR.EDU)
Wed, 30 Oct 1996 19:27:24 -0500 (EST)


Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 19:27:24 -0500 (EST)
From: Foteos Macrides <MACRIDES@SCI.WFBR.EDU>
Subject: Re: <IMAGE>? <TT> == <I>? toHell(NS)
To: pflynn@curia.ucc.ie
Cc: www-html@w3.org
Message-id: <01IB9IN7WHDU00FGI3@SCI.WFBR.EDU>

Peter Flynn <pflynn@curia.ucc.ie> wrote:
>   Again, when he says "there is no way to leave the <TT> open" he means
>   exactly that.  SGML does not allow for non-hierarchical markup.  It is
>   *impossible* to have an element start inside another element and end
>   outside it.  SGML simply does not allow you to represent that concept as
>   elements (you *could* represent it using a DTD that included elements
>   that signalled the beginning and end of regions, but the HTML DTD
>   doesn't do that - it wraps regions as elements).  Yes, this does make it
>
>But didn't HTML3 do just that: <EM>you use <SPOT ID="foo">here and
>some time later</EM> you can say <SPOT ID="bar">at some arbitrary
>point. Then in the header you say <RANGE FROM="foo" UNTIL="bar"
>CLASS="pink-and-blue"> and leave it to the style engine to sort out
>:-) Because SPOT is defined EMPTY, it has no domain, so spots can
>occur arbitrarily anywhere.

	That's no problem, by virtue of having defined SPOT as EMPTY.
The browser should do exactly what if would have done for

	<EM>you use <A NAME="foo"></A>here and seek it from a link</EM>
	
but because SPOT is EMPTY, you won't have the problem of providers
forgetting to close a named Anchor.  Wouldn't RANGE work with either,
though (i.e., if you use ID instead of NAME for the A)?

	The orginal question was what to do about
	
	<TT>teletype font</I>
	
where the </I> is either a typo or an (ILLEGALLY!!!) interdigitated
end tag for an earlier <I> start tag.  And that discussion basically
has been about whether tags can be treated as just switches, a la
the original NCSA Mosaics and the MCOM_oops_copyright_infringement_NCOM
browsers, or as SGML conformant markup.  I'm suprised at what's being
claimed MSIE does with it, particularly if it's a version with style
sheet support, because that implies style sheets can be supported while
retaining "switch logic", and thus might not force NSN into greater
SGML compliance.


>				 It's in HTML Pro anyway.

	It's nice!!!!  Have you notified Gerald about the update,
so it can be updated at KGV?

	I don't understand what you're doing with NOSCRIPT (but
also don't undersand what Netscape intends to be done with it).
It presumeably can have any body markup, to be used in lieu of
what the SCRIPT code would generate, but you allow only %text.
It should at lease allow %insertions as well, shouldn't it, and
probably also %structure.  I was assuming it's basically an OBJECT
with DECLARE and would be placed inside the SCRIPT container.  Does
anybody know what's really intended for NOSCRIPT, and thus how it
could be formalized in a DTD (if that's possible with what's
intended)?

				Fote

=========================================================================
 Foteos Macrides            Worcester Foundation for Biomedical Research
 MACRIDES@SCI.WFBR.EDU         222 Maple Avenue, Shrewsbury, MA 01545
=========================================================================