Re: Internationalized CLASS attributes

Paul Prescod (papresco@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca)
Thu, 17 Oct 1996 14:35:46 -0400 (EDT)

From: Paul Prescod <papresco@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca>
Subject: Re: Internationalized CLASS attributes
To: abigail@ny.fnx.com (Haijo Schipper)
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 1996 14:35:46 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: mtbryan@sgml.u-net.com, www-international@w3.org, www-html@w3.org

> Indeed. Having a uniform set of names is in my opinion more useful
> than using class names in a native language. (One can always do
> that for author-defined classes). After all, the element and
> attribute names are in English too, aren't they?

For now....but when generic markup comes to the web, they will be wide open,
too. SGML does allow element names and attributes in native languages, and
I presume that it expects every SGML processor that processes a particular
language to understand the capitalization rules for that language.

 Paul Prescod