Re: Composite DTD

>Peter Flynn <pflynn@curia.ucc.ie> wrote:
>>I have nearly got the composite DTD working but I need another day or
>>two (ie the weekend) having lost some time during the week to
>>administrivia.
>>[...]
>        What is involved in registering a DTD, so that the ultimate
>Consensus Composite DTD (CCDTD) might be made selectable via the
>online validation services (I tried to induce Kinder, Gentler to
>fetch a DTD via a URL in the DOCTYPE declaration, and nothing I
>tried worked 8-)?

Simply name it. Whether or not it is widely accepted, included in
validation services, etc. is a matter of how widely accepted, included in
validation services, etc. it is seen. Sort of a chicken and egg thing.

    <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//PFlynn//DTD HTML 3.X Composite//EN">
                              ^^^^^^
or some such thing. OwnerID should be a string that Peter owns or has
authority to publish under, maybe something for University College, Cork if
his employer permits it and establishes a unique ownerID for his use.
"Registration" doesn't really exist in this context, but you should have
authority under the OwnerID to publish, so it'd be inappropriate for Peter
to use "IETF" or "W3C" without permission.

IANA has not begun registering FPIs; I discussed making a proposal for
classed FPIs last Fall and they initially thought they might consider it,
but I think Harald Alvastrand was against it if I remember right. Seems a
long time ago now.

And no jibe at Peter, but I don't think the "Ultimate Consensus Composite
DTD" is really gonna fly as a name...  :-)

Murray

     Murray Altheim, Program Manager
     Spyglass, Inc., Cambridge, Massachusetts
     email: <mailto:murray@spyglass.com>
     http:  <http://www.cambridge.spyglass.com/murray/murray.html>
            "Give a monkey the tools and he'll eventually build a typewriter."