Re: HTML is declarative on purpose [was: Web neurons ]

Scott E. Preece (
Thu, 30 May 1996 08:02:10 -0500

Date: Thu, 30 May 1996 08:02:10 -0500
From: (Scott E. Preece)
Subject: Re: HTML is declarative on purpose [was: Web neurons ]

 From: (John Middlemas)
| Scott writes:-
| > The problem is that in some cases (a growing number) the "content" of
| > the page is generated by the code.  If you don't execute the code, you
| > don't have any words to index.  This is a significant obstacle to
| > providing effective indexing and access to the information on the Web.
| Yes, I suppose I should have realised this.
| So to maintain good indexing you shouldn't generate "content" from
| code. One has to ask why this is done anyway. Perhaps the very reason
| is because HTML has not itself got the proper tools in place.

By the way, I didn't mean to criticize your idea - I was just answering
a question.  I think the web neuron idea is interesting.  I would
suggest building something, as a proof of concept.  I don't think you'll
get a lot of support for standardizing the idea until you can
demonstrate that it's an effective tool (that is, Turing completeness
alone is not enough - nobody writes programs for Turing machines).

scott preece
phone:	217-384-8589			  fax:	217-384-8550
internet mail: