Re: Tables

Abigail (abigail@tungsten.gn.iaf.nl)
Sun, 19 May 1996 15:55:54 +0200 (MET DST)

From: Abigail <abigail@tungsten.gn.iaf.nl>
Subject: Re: Tables
To: www-html@w3.org
Date: Sun, 19 May 1996 15:55:54 +0200 (MET DST)

Thomas van Gulick wrote:
++
++ >>Wouldn't a HSPACE attribute for <TD> and <TH> be nice? I keep seeing the
++ >>columns of my tables 'stick' to eachother...
++ >
++ > See CELLSPACING (thickness of rules) and CELLPADDING (text offset from
++ > rules).
++
++ But when using this, the table will be stretched vertically too, and this
++ is not what I want.
++
++ I know, actually what I want is not a table, it is something like a profile
++ in the form:
++
[ Snip ]

You can use the WIDTH attribute on <TD>. This will set the width for
a cell (and hence for the column). If possible, the user agent will
use that width. A user agent is allowed to ignore if it would not
be possible to use the suggested width. The disadvantage is that
you have to compare pixels vs (proportional) font width.

Abigail