Re: DIV/CLASS: Mike Wexler: Re: HTML 3.2

On Wed, 15 May 1996 17:44:00 -0400, "Dave Raggett" <dsr@w3.org> wrote:
> >     DIV document divisions
> >        Groups related elements together.
> >        Can be used with ALIGN attribute to set the text alignment of the
> >        block of elements it conains. ALIGN can be one of LEFT, CENTER, or
> >        RIGHT. Requires start and end tags.
>
> I have modified the wording to be similar to the above.

So does this mean that JUSTIFY will not be in HTML 3.2?

> The purpose of the HTML 3.2 spec is to capture a sanitized version
> of current practice as agreed by the market leaders.

So just because neither Netscape nor Microsoft got around to implementing
JUSTIFY we don't get it? Somehow this doesn't strike me as very desirable.

> We couldn't
> include ID in the spec as current browsers don't support hypertext
> links to particular IDs. As a group it made sense to us to defer
> ID and CLASS etc. to a future release when we would be rolling out
> support for style sheets.

Same thing here. I think there are certain things which are useful enough
to include them in HTML 3.2 even though the most popular browsers do not
implement them. The same thing happened with HTML 2.0: REL, REV, TITLE
are in there even though no browser actually implemented them and I don't
think they were the reason it took so long to come out with the specs.

IMHO, if ALIGN=LEFT, RIGHT, CENTER are in 3.2 then so should be JUSTIFY.
And CLASS should absolutely be in there as well since its use is not
limited to style sheets. With regards to ID, well Netscape seems to be
implementing it (although they don't document it and I don't know the
extent of the implementation).

Marcus
--
Marcus E. Hennecke