Re: DIV/CLASS: Mike Wexler: Re: HTML 3.2

Dave Raggett (dsr@w3.org)
Wed, 15 May 1996 17:44:00 -0400

To: Mike Wexler <mwexler@frame.com>
Cc: Charles Peyton Taylor <CTaylor@wposmtp.nps.navy.mil>, www-html@w3.org,
Subject: Re: DIV/CLASS: Mike Wexler: Re: HTML 3.2
Date: Wed, 15 May 1996 17:44:00 -0400
From: "Dave Raggett" <dsr@w3.org>

>     DIV document divisions
>        Groups related elements together.
>        Can be used with ALIGN attribute to set the text alignment of the
>        block of elements it conains. ALIGN can be one of LEFT, CENTER, or
>        RIGHT. Requires start and end tags.

I have modified the wording to be similar to the above.

> While browsers are important users of HTML, content creation tools,
> indexing engines, etc are also important. Just because there is no
> visible effect of a tag in some particular browser, doesn't mean
> it shouldn't be described.

The purpose of the HTML 3.2 spec is to capture a sanitized version
of current practice as agreed by the market leaders. We couldn't
include ID in the spec as current browsers don't support hypertext
links to particular IDs. As a group it made sense to us to defer
ID and CLASS etc. to a future release when we would be rolling out
support for style sheets.

-- Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org> tel: +1 (617) 258 5741 fax: +1 (617) 258 5999
   World Wide Web Consortium, 545 Technology Square, Cambridge, MA 02139
   url = http://www.w3.org/People/Raggett