Re: <math>, <fig>, ... (fwd)

Fisher Mark (FisherM@is3.indy.tce.com)
Fri, 10 May 96 15:42:00 PDT

From: Fisher Mark <FisherM@is3.indy.tce.com>
To: "'Paul Prescod'" <papresco@itrc.uwaterloo.ca>
Cc: www-html <www-html@www10.w3.org>
Subject: Re: <math>, <fig>, ... (fwd)
Date: Fri, 10 May 96 15:42:00 PDT

>The problem is that the more formatting stuff gets into the language, the
>more formatting stuff _will_ get into the language. "HTML isn't really
>platform independant markup...it has _elements_ for _centering_ for gawd's
>sake! And FONT face control elements! How can you call that platform
>independent?"

Not if stylesheets get there first -- and likely they will
(<URL:http://192.216.48.63/cgi-bin/displayStory.pl?96058.navigator4.htm> and
<URL:http://www.microsoft.com/ie/author/html30/html_toc.htm>).  Stylesheets
(and editors more sophisticated than vi or Notepad) will offer a lot more
power, a lot faster, than the "presentational tag soup" we have to deal with
now.
Mark Leighton Fisher                   Thomson Consumer Electronics
fisherm@indy.tce.com                   Indianapolis, IN