Re: HTML 3.2

Fisher Mark (
Thu, 09 May 96 14:03:00 PDT

From: Fisher Mark <>
To: www-html <>
Subject: Re: HTML 3.2
Date: Thu, 09 May 96 14:03:00 PDT

MegaZone writes in <>:
>And using '3.2' helps put the nail in the coffin of the long defunct 3.0
>proposal.  3.0 had some good stuff - it also had some poorly thought out
>schemes, and it was unweildy.  3.2 covers bits of 3.0 that are in use,
>and provides an easy point to work from in introducing more.

Although HTML 3.2 has only a subset of what was in HTML 3.0, the subset is
very useful.  HTML 3.2 gives a good starting point for adding needed
features to HTML.  I am afraid that HTML 3.0 may have been a example of Fred
Brook's "Second System Syndrome" -- it was too big a bite to be eaten all at
once.  W3C and the members of this mailing list should be able now to move
forward on HTML enhancements in more digestible (and chewable :)) pieces.
Mark Leighton Fisher                   Thomson Consumer Electronics                   Indianapolis, IN