Re: HTML 3.2 [was: Unique Names & content scope -Reply ]

Dave Carter (dxc@ast.cam.ac.uk)
Tue, 7 May 1996 16:48:18 +0100 (BST)

Date: Tue, 7 May 1996 16:48:18 +0100 (BST)
From: Dave Carter <dxc@ast.cam.ac.uk>
To: "Daniel W. Connolly" <connolly@beach.w3.org>
Cc: Jonas Liljegren <a95jonas@student.adb.gu.se>, www-html@w3.org
Subject: Re: HTML 3.2 [was: Unique Names & content scope -Reply ]

I have just looked at the html 3.2 draft, and it is NOT a step forward
from 3.0. There are netscapeisms in there, and this stinks. Apart from
<center>, another example is the BGCOLOR attribute on <BODY>, another
is the plethora of presentation forcing attributes to <TABLE>. Quite
frankly this shows why standards cannot be left to commercial
organisations. I, for one, will stick to html 3.0, for its greater
functionality, particularly <math>, and to a certain extent style
sheets, and I do hope that the developers of arena will not be
forced down the same commercial road as whoever has issued the 3.2
document.

Dave Carter