Re: A proposal [PopUp Windows for Dictionary purposes] -Reply

Heikki Vesalainen (wes@clinet.fi)
Sat, 16 Mar 1996 13:15:18 -0800

Date: Sat, 16 Mar 1996 13:15:18 -0800
From: Heikki Vesalainen <wes@clinet.fi>
To: Matt Heffron <heffron@falstaff.css.beckman.com>
Cc: The W3 HTML group <www-html@w3.org>
Subject: Re: A proposal [PopUp Windows for Dictionary purposes] -Reply

Hi!

> BUT, I do know that I'd rather have presentation information (like
> popup footnotes) in Style Sheets, instead of an assortment of
> HTML tags from different vendors to do the same thing (e.g. <POPUP>,
> <CARTOONBUBBLE>, <PEEKABOO> ! :-)

That's why we have to come up with an HTML tag for popup notes - to
stop the vendors from making their own.

I have studied the resent drafts and I have found two popup "tags".  The
first one is the foonnote (<FN>) tag and the second is <A REL="Footnote"
NAME="asdasd"> (RELREF).  I still think mine is better because, it
doesn't use new tag's (it uses the A HREF tag), just a new target called
"_popup" (note that netscape allready has 4 or 5 of them).

---
Heikki Vesalainen
http://www.clinet.fi/~wes/
wes@clinet.fi