IETF HTML V. 2.0 Question

Scott Fendley (
Wed, 5 Jun 1996 21:02:46 -0500 (CDT)

Date: Wed, 5 Jun 1996 21:02:46 -0500 (CDT)
From: Scott Fendley <>
Subject: IETF HTML V. 2.0 Question

I am a student in a WWW Computing class this semester and we just had a
midterm with what I believe is an impossible question.  Would someone please
tell me if the answer is actually in the rfc1866 (HTML Version 2.0) spec?
Or is my professor loosing his mind?  Here is the Question.

What is the method which is formally sanctioned in IETF HTML version 2.0 for
representing the following DOCTYPE expression as readable plain text? - that
is, without processing it.

My best guesses are that since the <XMP>...</XMP> were removed with version
2.0 then you would either use the <pre>...</pre> tags  or you would use the
&lt;&gt; symbols to print them to screen.

Thanks in advance. :)

Scott Fendley
University of Arkansas
Departments of Computer Science,