Re: Comments in markup?

Arnoud (
Tue, 30 Jul 1996 12:36:57 +0200

From: (Arnoud "Galactus" Engelfriet)
Subject: Re: Comments in markup?
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 1996 12:36:57 +0200

In article <>,
"Marc Salomon" <> wrote:
> wrote:
> >When I tested this myself, I found out I couldn't use any SGML constructs
> >other than DOCTYPES or comment elements in an HTML document when feeding
> >it to the Webtechs validator. Is there a reason for this? Why would an
> >SGML parser allow <!-- foobar --> but not <!ENTITY foobar ...>, both of
> >which are valid SGML constructs?
> <!ENTITY ...
> <!ATTLIST ...
> Are all declarative markup in which you can delimit comments with -- ... --.

Ah, ok. But why does the WebTechs validator complain when I feed an
HTML document containing an <!ENTITY> declaration (copied from the
HTML 3.2 DTD, but with a different name to avoid duplicates) to it?
Shouldn't it be possible to declare new entities in an HTML document?

Or is there simply a restriction on *where* such declarations may be
used? I find it very strange that you can put <!-- --> anywhere, but
not <!ENTITY foo CDATA "&#62"> or something like that.

To find out more about PGP, send mail with HELP PGP in the SUBJECT line to me.
E-mail: - Please PGP encrypt your mail if you can.
Finger for public key (key ID 0x416A1A35).
Anonymity and privacy site: <>