Re[2]: Accessibility

     I know everyone's experiences may vary, but I was completely surprised
     a few months ago by our stats.  Lynx ranked up there somewhere in the
     top ten browser types, way over the numbers below.  I still use it
     from time to time, especially over telnet when I can't be bothered to
     start up a heavy GUI.  I also like to validate with it since it covers
     both text-based browsers AND the many people who browse with images
     off.

     Just as GUI browsers serve us, Lynx has been serving non-GUI's for a
     long time, and IMHO doing a helluva job.

     I don't want to start any wars or "I see.0005%""No I get %10", what's
     the point?Lynx does its job very well.  It needs to try to catch up
     somewhat in certain areas but I think they are rather challenging
     ones.  We are talking about implementing graphical organizational
     devices in an extremely limited environment.

     I also see Lynx as providing us with a rather solid foothold in HTML's
     portability.  Keeps us from using AVI's as links and reminds us to use
     ALT when we do :)  By keeping a path for Lynx users, we help keep the
     path open to those with disabilities as well as automated processes.

     with that in mind, Lynx will never be obsolete, and yes, I do play
     with Linux withOUT xwindows :P
     let's not lump all browsers together and start tossing some variations
     away.  Lynx will always have one feature that Netscape and IE will
     NEVER have, it will work through a telnet or shell!  If you're then
     going to tell me that those are obsolete, well....

     -Adrian

On Tue, 2 Jul 1996, Ka-Ping Yee wrote:

> Chris Serflek wrote:
> >
> > You are correct.  We do have many keyboard shortcuts, but saying "first"
> > is ignoring early browsers like Lynx.
>
> Careful.  Lynx is not "early" in the sense of "ancient";
> it is currently used in many, many places, and development
> continues.

Don't fool yourself. Lynx has been losing market share ever since Mosaic
came out. My numbers currently put it at around one percent of the market
- and still falling. This is *after* correcting for the bias of graphics
on hit counts - before the correction lynx is down to one-sixth of a
percent. For the record - NCSA Mosaic is doing even worse - it is down to
a mere one-half of a percentage point even though it does support
graphics. I suspect that outside the .edu domain it is much lower than
even that (you can see a bias in the .edu domain towards NCSA servers too
- com domains use Apache at nearly the 39% level while edu domains use it
at a mere 12%). I would make a heavy bet that outside of the edu domains
lynx is below one tenth of one percent. I'll collect some numbers to
verify that.

What lynx needs more than *anything* else right now is table support -
because many people have ceased to even consider how a non-table browser
will render something. As long as the concensus of lynx-dev is represented
by <URL:http://lynx.cc.ukans.edu/lynx-dev/9601/0193.html>, lynx will
remain below the minumum feature level for me to even worry about. Even
_AOL_ supports tables now.

Without tables - lynx *is* obsolete (which is what I think you actually
meant when you said 'ancient').

--
Benjamin Franz