Re: [ hwg-main ] Re: background problem...HELP!!

Walter Ian Kaye wrote:

> At 10:03p 01/15/96, Hakon Lie wrote:

> >Kynn Bartlett writes:

> > > So how many browsers support this, and which ones?

> >At this point there are three implementations: Arena, emacs-w3 and
> >Tamaya.

> And these run on all major OS's, right? <G>
>
> So please tell -- which specific OS does each of these run under?

OK. Folks on www-talk will already know this stuff, so here is the info for
those on hwg (and apologies again for not spotting the crossposting of the
original article).

Arena [0]: this is a test-bed browser fore trying out ideas. It was used to get
implementation experience while the HTML 3.0 spec was being developed, for
example, and is currently a test-bed for CSS1 style-sheets. It is an X
application and highly tied into the X library, so non-trivial to port
to non-X platforms. In practice, this means a bunch of Unix platforms.

The latest version, which at times has an update cycle of weekly or less
;-) is available in binary [1] for Suns (SunOS 4.1.x and Solaris 2.3), linux,
and SGI Irix, although there is source [2].

Other platforms: slightly lagging behind this, and in some cases depending on
other parties helping with access to porting platforms[3] :

- Digital alpha running OSF/1 3.2a
- Digital DECstation running Ultrix 4.3 or freebsd
- Digital VAXstation running Ultrix 4.3
- i386-netbd-current
- IBM PC compatible running linux (both a.out and elf formats)
- IBM RS6000 running AIX 3.2
- Silicon Graphics (all 32 bit platforms) running IRIX 5.2
- Hewlett-Packard 9000 workstations running HP-UX 9.01
- Intel x86 machines running Solaris 2.4 (both openwindows and xfree)
- Sun SPARCstations running SunOS 4.1.x or Solaris 2.3

Emacs is a text editor which wants to be an operating system when it
grows up ;=) and the emacs-w3 plug-in uses the emacs extension language
so it will work on whatever emacs has been ported to.  I don't know
offhand what it has been ported to.[4]

Tamaya [5] is a research prototype browser/editor that is being developed
at INRIA.  It was demonstrated at WWW4 in Boston, where I saw WYSIWIG
creation and editing of CSS1 stylesheets.

Another browser (actually an editor and server solution as well) that
uses stylesheets is Navipress [6].  Last I heard this used their own
stylesheet language [7], but at the Stylesheets Workshop[8] in
Versailles last November George Williams, the Navisoft representative,
said that CSS1 was a better solution and they would be moving towards
CSS1.

To find other companies that may be working on implementing CSS1, go to
the archives[9] of the www-style mailing list and search on some likely
company names, such as Microsoft ;-)

[0] http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/Arena/
[1] http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/Arena/Dist-beta-1
[2] http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/Arena/arena-beta-1c-src.tgz
[3] ftp://ftp.w3.org/pub/arena/
[4] http://www.cs.indiana.edu/elisp/w3/
[5] http://www-bi.imag.fr/OPERA/Tamaya.en.html
[6] http://www.navisoft.com/products/press/docs.htm
[7] http://www.naviservice.com/NaviPress/UsrGuide/np07-8.htm
[8] http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/Style/951106_Workshop/
[9] http://www.eit.com/www.lists/www.lists.2.html

--
Chris Lilley, Technical Author and JISC representative to W3C
|  Manchester and North Training & Education Centre   ( MAN T&EC )  |