Re: background problem...HELP!!

>On Mon, 15 Jan 1996, lilley wrote:
>

>> > I have a client who wants more than anything to
>> > have a background that is a fade from top to bottom.
>>
>> Glad to hear you say that ... ;-)
>>
>> Have a look at the Cascading Style Sheets (CSS1) specification.
>
>[...]
>
>Grrr...
>
>Please, please ,please - if you tell someone about stylesheets as a solution
>to a problem *today*, also mention the fact that no major browser supports
>stylesheets *today*. Don't pretend it is a deployed technology - it isn't. In
>the last 9.3 *million* hits on a site I maintain with CSS stylesheets - there
>have been only 27 hits on the stylesheets (19 of them were 2 to 2 1/2
>months ago - during the first two weeks the site was online, some of
>which is contamination from myself).
>
>Right now, the *only* widely viewable way to get a top to bottom fade is
>to make a background image such as his 50x1045 one.
>
>--
>Benjamin Franz

this may sound oversimplistic, but i don't see why it wouldn't work..

if you're worried about how long it takes for the image to load, why not
just make it 1x1045, and cut transfer time down by 98% (and the 50x1045 is
small enough as it is, that's really small enough to not worry about the
CSS stylesheet..i know that _I_ would much rather put in a 5 second
download than risk most people not being able to see it..)

GeoffryN

geoffryn@nfocus.com