Re: background problem...HELP!!

Benjamin Franz (
Mon, 15 Jan 1996 07:46:44 -0800 (PST)

Date: Mon, 15 Jan 1996 07:46:44 -0800 (PST)
From: Benjamin Franz <>
To: lilley <>
Cc: "Steve D. Jensen" <>,,
Subject: Re: background problem...HELP!!

On Mon, 15 Jan 1996, lilley wrote:

> > I have a client who wants more than anything to
> > have a background that is a fade from top to bottom.
> Glad to hear you say that ... ;-)
> Have a look at the Cascading Style Sheets (CSS1) specification.

Please, please ,please - if you tell someone about stylesheets as a solution
to a problem *today*, also mention the fact that no major browser supports
stylesheets *today*. Don't pretend it is a deployed technology - it isn't. In
the last 9.3 *million* hits on a site I maintain with CSS stylesheets - there
have been only 27 hits on the stylesheets (19 of them were 2 to 2 1/2
months ago - during the first two weeks the site was online, some of
which is contamination from myself).

Right now, the *only* widely viewable way to get a top to bottom fade is
to make a background image such as his 50x1045 one.

Benjamin Franz