Re: background problem...HELP!!

lilley (
Mon, 15 Jan 1996 10:51:30 +0000 (GMT)

From: lilley <>
Subject: Re: background problem...HELP!!
To: (Steve D. Jensen)
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 1996 10:51:30 +0000 (GMT)

> I have a client who wants more than anything to
> have a background that is a fade from top to bottom.

Glad to hear you say that ... ;-)

Have a look at the Cascading Style Sheets (CSS1) specification. This
allows you to specify two background colours which will be smoothly
faded in a given direction. Clearly this is much faster and
more modem-friendly than actually sending an image of the fade, plus
it copes with any window size (although your 50 x 1045 image is a good
attempt at that).

There is also the facility to have background images that are fixed
relative to the window (not the page). I saw this used last week to fix
a company logo at the bottom right of each slide in a presentation,
without having to have lots of <br> or anything. Check out:
or for general background,

Chris Lilley, Technical Author and JISC representative to W3C
|  Manchester and North Training & Education Centre   ( MAN T&EC )  |
| Computer Graphics Unit,             Email: |
| Timezone: UTC        URI: |