Re: Really Quick Guide to Good HTML

Maurizio Codogno (
Wed, 21 Feb 1996 08:55:28 +0100

Date: Wed, 21 Feb 1996 08:55:28 +0100
From: (Maurizio Codogno)
Subject: Re: Really Quick Guide to Good HTML

lilley answered Charles Peyton Taylor:
% > A question, though:  I used to think that the <html></html>
% > tags were there to let the browser software know that
% > the document was in HTML format.  But if that's so, then
% > why is it defined as a MIME type on the server?
% The html start and end tags are used to bracket the document instance. SGML
% assumes a hierarchical model, and the html element (consisting of
% <html>stuff</html>) is at the top of the tree.

Just out of curiosity - is there some browser which actually stops
processing if it finds a </html> tag? When I first approached HTML, I
thought it would have been a nice way to add information at the end
of a document without let them be displayed. But this seems not to be
the case.