Re: Really Quick Guide to Good HTML

lilley (lilley@afs.mcc.ac.uk)
Wed, 21 Feb 1996 00:25:16 +0000 (GMT)

From: lilley <lilley@afs.mcc.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: Really Quick Guide to Good HTML
To: CTaylor@wposmtp.nps.navy.mil (Charles Peyton Taylor)
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 1996 00:25:16 +0000 (GMT)
Cc: www-html@w3.org

Charles Peyton Taylor wrote:

> A question, though:  I used to think that the <html></html>
> tags were there to let the browser software know that
> the document was in HTML format.  But if that's so, then
> why is it defined as a MIME type on the server?

The html start and end tags are used to bracket the document instance. SGML
assumes a hierarchical model, and the html element (consisting of

Not all DTDS have a single "top" element. Also, full-blown SGML can have
additional declarations - entities, for example - before the "top" element.
The HTML 2.0 standard forbids these additional declarations, so there can
not be anything between the doctype declaration and the <html> tag.

Thus, the <html> tag need not be actually written (because it can always
be inferred, like the closing ,/p> can alays be inferred) but by the same
token, it is not incorrect to write the <html> and </html> tags.

Does that answer your question?

--
Chris Lilley, Technical Author and JISC representative to W3C
|  Manchester and North Training & Education Centre   ( MAN T&EC )  |