Re: Really Quick Guide to Good HTML

James Tauber SunLabs - SML (James.Tauber@east.sun.com)
Tue, 20 Feb 1996 19:18:31 -0500

Date: Tue, 20 Feb 1996 19:18:31 -0500
From: James.Tauber@east.sun.com (James Tauber SunLabs - SML)
To: www-html@w3.org, CTaylor@wposmtp.nps.navy.mil
Subject: Re: Really Quick Guide to Good HTML

> A question, though:  I used to think that the <html></html>
> tags were there to let the browser software know that=20
> the document was in HTML format.  But if that's so, then=20
> why is it defined as a MIME type on the server?

The <html>...</html> lets an SGML system know (redundantly) that it's an =
HTML=20
element. (The <!DOCTYPE HTML ...> lets an SGNK system know it's HTML). =
The MIME=20
type lets a MIME system know it's HTML.

Interestingly, Web browsers are primarily MIME-focused rather than =
SGML-focused
in that they allow a variety of MIME content types but virtually no =
variation
in SGML document type.

James