Re: Extra! Microsoft beats Netscape in the race for non-conformance!

Martin J Duerst (mduerst@ifi.unizh.ch)
Mon, 12 Feb 1996 10:56:07 +0100 (MET)

Subject: Re: Extra! Microsoft beats Netscape in the race for non-conformance!
To: lilley@afs.mcc.ac.uk (lilley)
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 1996 10:56:07 +0100 (MET)
Cc: kryee@novice.uwaterloo.ca, html-wg@w3.org, www-html@w3.org,
From: Martin J Duerst <mduerst@ifi.unizh.ch>

Chris Lilley writes:

>2) Regarding sites coded in JIS; I tried each of the sites in Japan and all
>were labelling their content as text.html rather than
>text/html; charset="jis" (is that the right string for JIS?).

No. The right one is "ISO-2022-JP", although the actual use of escape
sequences in this encoding is not completely compliant to ISO 2022 :-).

Also, in contrast to internet mail, where ISO-2022-JP is the only accepted
encoding, web pages frequently are in Shift-JIS or Japanese EUC (sorry,
don't know the correct identifiers for those), and so should be appropriately
labelled.

Regards,	Martin.