Re: Extra! Microsoft beats Netscape in the race for non-conformance!

Ka-Ping Yee writes:

> Congratulations to Architecture Projects Management Ltd., Digital
> Equipment Corporation, INRETS, and UKERNA on their correct use of
> the HyperText Markup Language.

1) Adding <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//IETF//DTD HTML//EN"> to the contents of
http://www.niss.ac.uk/education/jisc.html I find:

cguhpa [55]: html-check jisc.html
jisc.html ...
... valid

So, please add JISC to your list of member home pages, in "The Good Guys:
Congratulations!" section.

2) Regarding sites coded in JIS; I tried each of the sites in Japan and all
were labelling their content as text.html rather than
text/html; charset="jis" (is that the right string for JIS?).

Your page implies that they shouls all be using Unicode; I hope you mean
the should all be labeling their content so it can be converted into Unicode.
Since you have not penalised other sites who do not label their doctype,
perhaps similar lattitude should be allowed for sites who do not label
their charset.

What happens when the home pages of the Japanese sites are converted to
Unicode before validation (with, eg, nsgmls)?

3) Regarding GRIF - they do actually label their doctype. It  just happens
to use a system rather than a public identifier:

<!DOCTYPE HTML SYSTEM "HTML.dcl" []>
<HTML VERSION = "-//IETF//DTD HTML//EN//2.0">

which makes it hard for you or I to check their conformance. (It does
not conform to "-//IETF//DTD HTML//EN//2.0", however. It does not seem to
conform to the modular DTD
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 1996-01//EN"> either. This is of
course unfortunate when the contents of the page declare

    "GRIF S.A. is Europe's leading SGML company and develops and markets
    a full range of software products for editing and viewing structured
    documents that conform to ISO standard 8879 - Standard Generalized
    Markup Language."

--
Chris Lilley, Technical Author and JISC representative to W3C
|  Manchester and North Training & Education Centre   ( MAN T&EC )  |