Re: help with frames

David Perrell (davidp@earthlink.net)
Sat, 10 Feb 1996 09:35:19 -0800

Date: Sat, 10 Feb 1996 09:35:19 -0800
To: www-html@w3.org
From: David Perrell <davidp@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re:  help with frames

Mark Stettler wrote:

>Lets say that I have two frames (we'll call them A and B) that are
>oriented side by side. Frame A is the menu frame and the TARGET output
>is Frame B. The HTML Pages that are called up into Frame B (from my
>directory) have links to other sites. When I click on one of those
>links, it puts the site Home Page into Frame B. What I want to know is:
>How would I set up a "back" pointer so that it goes back to my last HTML
>page that was in frame B? By the way, frame B could have any one of a
>number of my HTML pages in it that called up the remote HTML page!

Do you really need to put the link into a frame? If you use TARGET="_top" for your HREFs, the link fills the window and the browser's Back button gets you back to where you were.

You could create a separate framesetting document for each link, so that instead of HREFing the remote document directly, you'd call the framesetting document with TARGET="_top". Each of these intermediate framesetting documents would recreate the menu as frame A and put the appropriate link into frame B. There would be no need for a NOFRAMES section so the files would be small. Again, the browser's back button would work as expected.

David Perrell
Hearn/Perrell Art Associates
Presentation graphics & animation
Photo retouch & enhancement