Re: Proposal: New Page Tag

Pete Brower (pete@hendrix.appx.com)
Fri, 20 Dec 1996 15:56:49 -0500 (EST)

From: Pete Brower <pete@hendrix.appx.com>
Subject: Re: Proposal: New Page Tag
To: abigail@ny.fnx.com
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 15:56:49 -0500 (EST)
Cc: amas@lhr-sys.DHL.COM, www-html@w3.org

About this PageBreak stuff,

I would much rather see rules on where NOT to break (<H1> example).
And also a way to define standard page heading and footing sections
that will get printed at the top and bottom of each printed page
for things like publication and chapter title lines on the top
of the pages and page number/revision dates at the bottom.

I know this is crude and probably incorrect, but something like:

<PAGEHEAD PAGE=ODD>
<P ALIGN=RIGHT>User Manual - Introduction</P>
<HR>
</PAGEHEAD>

<PAGEHEAD PAGE=EVEN>
<P ALIGN=LEFT>User Manual - Introduction</P>
<HR>
</PAGEHEAD>

<PAGEFOOT PAGE=ODD>
<HR>
<P ALIGN=RIGHT><PAGENUMBER></P>
</PAGEFOOT>

<PAGEFOOT PAGE=EVEN>
<HR>
<P ALIGN=LEFT><PAGENUMBER></P>
</PAGEFOOT>

I would think this would belong in a style sheet somewhere and may
already be there.  I have not worked with style sheets much.

Pete Brower
pete@appx.com