Re: Proposal: New Page Tag

Abigail (abigail@ny.fnx.com)
Fri, 20 Dec 1996 14:39:58 -0500 (EST)

Subject: Re: Proposal: New Page Tag
To: amas@lhr-sys.DHL.COM (Andre-John Mas)
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 14:39:58 -0500 (EST)
From: "Abigail" <abigail@ny.fnx.com>
Cc: www-html@w3.org

You, Andre-John Mas, wrote:
++
++ What I am suggesting is a tag that would signal the preferred position of
++ a new page, maybe something like <NP>. This would be a special tag and act
++ very much like the 'page-break' ascii character found in the RFC ascii
++ written documents. This tag would not be used for display purposes, though
++ would come into action when someone decided to print an HTML document.
++
++ This is a tag I would like to see because I have seen documents that have
++ been semi-converted to HTML and they look all wrong when I print them.

But do you really think your page breaks will look good on *my* printer?
What if I use a slightly larger font than you, so my pages will have
just a little less text than yours? Then I need an extra pagebreak
just before your hardcoded pagebreaks, making every second page
only contain a few lines. That is what I would call "looking all wrong".

A style sheet with page break *rules* (like "not after an <h1> header",
"preferably between paragraphs") could be useful; hardcoded page breaks
don't make any sense in an device independent environment.

Abigail