Re: Netscape says CSS1 and Unicode support to be in NS 4.0

On Tue, 3 Dec 1996, David Perrell wrote:

> Once loaded, fonts should be accessible without regard to method of
> FACE="web-font" would still render in the font. Given Netscape's past
> record of ad hoc tag invention, I worried that there would be some very
> focussed font load/specify solution that couldn't evolve and would
> require a new mechanism if, say, DSSSL were supported later.

I would think that this falls into the area of proprietary tags that can be
simply viewed as equivalents to CSS directives in the future. I.e. a
CSS-enabled browser should translate
 <FONT ...></FONT>
into
 <SPAN STYLE="..."></SPAN>
This goes for most proprietary tags in use today, with the exception of
frames, possibly.

--
  Stephanos Piperoglou aka Sneakabout - http://users.hol.gr/~spip/index.html
"Losers always wine about their best. Winners go home and fuck the prom queen"