Re: Netscape says CSS1 and Unicode support to be in NS 4.0

Chris Lilley wrote:
> I wrote:
> > and best if it were also a generalized solution that was neither
> > exclusively CSS nor CSS-excluding.
>
> The proposed solution does indeed build onto CSS1. Can you explain
> more what you mean by this sentence?

Once loaded, fonts should be accessible without regard to method of
FACE="web-font" would still render in the font. Given Netscape's past
record of ad hoc tag invention, I worried that there would be some very
focussed font load/specify solution that couldn't evolve and would
require a new mechanism if, say, DSSSL were supported later.

I took another look at the Netscape press release and noticed the line
"new Web font technology will be usable by style sheet designs," which
I missed on first scan.

David Perrell