Re: Netscape says CSS1 and Unicode support to be in NS 4.0

Chris Lilley (
Tue, 03 Dec 1996 16:00:29 +0100

From: Chris Lilley <>
Subject: Re: Netscape says CSS1 and Unicode support to be in NS 4.0
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 1996 16:00:29 +0100
To: David Perrell <>

David Perrell wrote:
> Another significant greater-than-fluff is:
> "Web fonts. ... In addition, pages using a particular font will
> be able
> to temporarily download that font with the page so it can be viewed
> with the exact font the designer desired. Because the fonts are either
> those shipping with Navigator or downloaded to it, this eliminates the
> limitation of the Font Face tag, which can display a font only if it
> finds it on the user's system."
> The only worrisome thing is the wording regarding the Font Face tag.

Font face is clearly being deprecated here, and rightly so.

> hope the downloaded font urls will be declared in the document head so
> that such fonts can be used transparently by both stylesheets and
> inline font tags.

On the contrary, I would expect the font urls and other font
information to be in the stylesheet, which might be in a separate
document or might be inside a style element.

>If this is going to require some ridiculous new tag
> or tag attribute then better to not do it at all.

Chris Lilley, W3C                          [ ]
Graphics and Fonts Guy            The World Wide Web Consortium              INRIA,  Projet W3C                       2004 Rt des Lucioles / BP 93