Re: Netscape says CSS1 and Unicode support to be in NS 4.0

Chris Lilley (
Tue, 03 Dec 1996 16:06:04 +0100

Date: Tue, 03 Dec 1996 16:06:04 +0100
From: Chris Lilley <>
To: David Perrell <>
Subject: Re: Netscape says CSS1 and Unicode support to be in NS 4.0

David Perrell wrote:
> Chris Wilson (PSD) wrote:
> > Actually, there is a font working group within the W3C who have been
> > developing a method for embedding fonts in Web pages using Cascading
> > Style Sheets (CSS) syntax - I believe the proposal was jointly
> > developed by Microsoft and Adobe.

There is indeed, and I might point out that it has more than two
> Netscape claims an Adobe/Apple/NS collaboration "to define and
> deliver HTML extensions for type on the Web."

HTML extensions? Nah.

> Twould be nice if both NS and MS were contributing,

They are.

> and better still if the proposed methodology were
> occasionally presented for public scrutiny,

Soon as it is stable and the WG members agree to make it public.

> and best if it were also a generalized solution that was neither
> exclusively CSS nor CSS-excluding.

The proposed solution does indeed build onto CSS1. Can you explain
more what you mean by this sentence?

Chris Lilley, W3C                          [ ]
Graphics and Fonts Guy            The World Wide Web Consortium              INRIA,  Projet W3C                       2004 Rt des Lucioles / BP 93