Re: My Friday-Before-Labor-Day Diatribe [Was: Frame document structure]

Paul Jones (
Fri, 30 Aug 1996 16:37:50 -0500 (CDT)

From: (Paul Jones)
Subject: Re: My Friday-Before-Labor-Day Diatribe [Was: Frame document structure]
To: (Abigail)
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 1996 16:37:50 -0500 (CDT)

Abigail wrote:

 > David Perrell wrote:
 >> Murray Altheim wrote:
 >> > with the structure of online knowledge and information. It's as if
 >> our
 >> > browsers and documents were busy getting breast implants and
 >> liposuction,
 >> > rather than concentrating on improving their content, personality,
 >> utility,
 >> > wisdom.
 > I wished the Web was being used to deliver information,
 > but currently, there is more to find on Usenet and ftp
 > sites than on HTML pages. I seldom `browse' the web
 > anymore, and I've haven't written a piece of HTML in
 > months. It just isn't making sense anymore.
 > Abigail - quite disappointed about the web and html.

I completely sympathize with everyone dismayed by the direction HTML
has taken.  We are dismayed but we should not be surprised.  Just
remember to "follow the money".  The whiz-bang stuff is going to
sell a lot more browsers than good information markup.  Our
society regrettably emphasizes <FORM> over <CONTENT>.
This is just one effect of that.

Paul Jones,  Motorola MCG
1101 E. University Ave.                             Voice: (217) 384-8529
Urbana, IL 61801, USA                               FAX:   (217) 384-8550