Re: Background Soundtracks

Daniel W. Connolly (
Thu, 22 Aug 1996 20:25:50 -0400

Subject: Re: Background Soundtracks
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 1996 20:25:50 -0400
From: "Daniel W. Connolly" <>

In message <>, Arnoud "Galactus" Engelfriet w
>In article <>,
>"Jason O'Brien" <> wrote:
>> I just wanted to post this in the hopes that Netscape will soon accept
>> the BGSOUND tag and future HTML designs will incorporate this or
>> something similar -- I am designing more and more web pages with
>BGSOUND as a *tag* is a very bad idea. It is a property of the
>body, so it should be an attribute of <BODY>.

I disagree. If I wanted to express "play sound X while this
document is displayed," I'd just write:

	<link rel=present href="">

We're talking web architecture 101 here. Specified in 1991, but dating
back before HTML existed, to TimBL's Enquire system (and lots of
hypertext systems before that).

Link Relationship values

illustrate the use of link relationships and to provide a framework
for further development.

Whenever A is presented, B must also be presented. This implies that
whenever A is retrieved, B must also be retrieved.