Re: deprecated tags in Wilbur & Cougar -Reply -Reply

Dave Raggett (dsr@w3.org)
Wed, 07 Aug 1996 14:01:48 -0400

To: Mike Wexler <mwexler@mv.us.adobe.com>
Cc: www-style@w3.org, www-html@w3.org
Subject: Re: deprecated tags in Wilbur & Cougar -Reply -Reply
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 1996 14:01:48 -0400
From: "Dave Raggett" <dsr@w3.org>

> I don't think that classes should be standardized by W3C or by UA authors.

There is no intention of doing this prematurely, but the there is great
value in codifying accepted practice as it evolves.

> Classes should not be used to convey semantic information to indexers.
> This should be left to element tags and other attriubtes.

I cannot agree with this. If you are writing a filter from FrameMaker,
then it is a straighforward matter to avoid name clashes, for example,
by using a prefix string. I intended the CLASS attribute to be used to
support the ability to differentiate different roles for the same tag
and to avoid the need for browsers to add new tags. The alternative
is to define you own DTD and use DSSSL to specify the rendering, but
this is a major delta in complexity.

-- Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org> tel: +1 (617) 258 5741 fax: +1 (617) 258 5999
   World Wide Web Consortium, 545 Technology Square, Cambridge, MA 02139
   url = http://www.w3.org/People/Raggett