Re: Netscape and SGML

Scott E. Preece (preece@predator.urbana.mcd.mot.com)
Fri, 2 Aug 1996 21:00:58 -0500

Date: Fri, 2 Aug 1996 21:00:58 -0500
From: preece@predator.urbana.mcd.mot.com (Scott E. Preece)
To: smishra@cc.gatech.edu
CC: www-html@w3.org
Subject: Re: Netscape and SGML

|   From: Sunil Mishra <smishra@cc.gatech.edu>
|   Netscape has never cared about SGML, and probably never will. As far as I
|   know, that is completely broken SGML. Although Netscape never did specify
|   this, the <font> tag could cross paragraph boundaries, such that if you put
|   a <font ...> in paragraph 1, and put in </font> in paragraph3, you would
|   end up with parts of paragraph 1 and 3 and all of paragraph 2 modified.
|
|   I would love to see them try and write a DTD fragment for that.
---

They don't need to.  The *author* is responsible for writing legal SGML
(including not violating nesting order). Netscape has explained
what their browser will do in the presence of a particular illegal
construct.  Perhaps they should have also pointed out that it was
illegal, but I don't think there's any violation of the standard in
documenting what your product will do in the face of particular illegal
markup.

scott

--
scott preece
phone:	217-384-8589			  fax:	217-384-8550