Re: Netscape and SGML

Scott E. Preece (
Fri, 2 Aug 1996 21:00:58 -0500

Date: Fri, 2 Aug 1996 21:00:58 -0500
From: (Scott E. Preece)
Subject: Re: Netscape and SGML

|   From: Sunil Mishra <>
|   Netscape has never cared about SGML, and probably never will. As far as I
|   know, that is completely broken SGML. Although Netscape never did specify
|   this, the <font> tag could cross paragraph boundaries, such that if you put
|   a <font ...> in paragraph 1, and put in </font> in paragraph3, you would
|   end up with parts of paragraph 1 and 3 and all of paragraph 2 modified.
|   I would love to see them try and write a DTD fragment for that.

They don't need to.  The *author* is responsible for writing legal SGML
(including not violating nesting order). Netscape has explained
what their browser will do in the presence of a particular illegal
construct.  Perhaps they should have also pointed out that it was
illegal, but I don't think there's any violation of the standard in
documenting what your product will do in the face of particular illegal

scott preece
phone:	217-384-8589			  fax:	217-384-8550
internet mail: