Re: Netscape and SGML

Sunil Mishra (
Fri, 2 Aug 1996 11:32:49 -0400 (EDT)

Date: Fri, 2 Aug 1996 11:32:49 -0400 (EDT)
From: Sunil Mishra <>
Subject: Re: Netscape and SGML

\\ I discovered the following statement in Netscape's documentation for
\\ Naviagtor 3.0:
\\ > Font styles - The MULTICOL tag recognizes current font status. So if you
\\ > begin a bold section before the multicolumn, the text in the columns
\\ > will start bold, and if you close the bold in the middle of the
\\ > multicolumn, this nonbold status will continue once you leave the
\\ > multicolumn.
\\ i.e.
\\ <B> bold text <MULTICOL> bold text </B> plain text </MULTICOL> plain text
\\ It was my understanding that SGML elements were not permitted to overlap;
\\ is it even possible for a DTD to specify this behaviour?
\\ --
\\ Michael Seaton (

Netscape has never cared about SGML, and probably never will. As far as I
know, that is completely broken SGML. Although Netscape never did specify
this, the <font> tag could cross paragraph boundaries, such that if you put
a <font ...> in paragraph 1, and put in </font> in paragraph3, you would
end up with parts of paragraph 1 and 3 and all of paragraph 2 modified.

I would love to see them try and write a DTD fragment for that.