Re: What about  ?

Arnoud (
Thu, 01 Aug 1996 20:33:08 +0200

From: (Arnoud "Galactus" Engelfriet)
Subject: Re: What about  ?
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 1996 20:33:08 +0200

In article <>,
James Aylett <> wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Jul 1996, Arnoud Galactus Engelfriet wrote:
> > Yes, but is there a *reason* for &nbsp; not to get collapsed, like the
> > normal space? In my opinion, (as well as the HTML 3 draft's), the
> > non-breaking space is simply a space where the line should not be
> > broken. If it occurs at a location away from the line end, it should
> > be treated as a normal space, including the collapsing.
> From a purists point of view this might well seem sensible, but consider
> that it is useful to have a non-collapsing space entity (for instance, to
> provide border lines alongside areas of text, using tables with different
> background colours for the cells) - I know that it's bending the construct

Ah, but isn't that what we have style sheets for? Embedding rendering
information in an HTML document is a Bad Thing, if only for the fact
that you have to edit all your documents if you decide to get a slightly
bigger border line.

I consider using &nbsp;s to force this a kludge. You can't even control
the amount of spacing you get - one em space, an en space, 10 pixels...

> flexible support for them, and there is no particular reason why &nbsp;
> _should_ collapse - its intended use is only defined for single
> occurences, where it inserts space. This is very distinct from being

Eh? I thought it was defined as "connects two non-whitespace sequences
in such a way the line will not be broken between the two." This doesn't
say anything about collapsing in either way, but as it's a _space_
it should be collapsed, IMO.

Does the W3C have an opinion on this matter? Why was the statement about
the non-breaking space (defined as collapsing) inserted in HTML 3, but
does Wilbur stay very quiet about it?

To find out more about PGP, send mail with HELP PGP in the SUBJECT line to me.
E-mail: - Please PGP encrypt your mail if you can.
Finger for public key (key ID 0x416A1A35).
Anonymity and privacy site: <>