Re: Inline macros

Foteos Macrides wrote:

> From: erik <erik@inch.com>
> >> Scripting features in HTML _is_ a topic for this list, and we
> >> can learn how _not_ to do it by examining JavaScript
> >
> >What is needed in HTML is a way to allow arbitrary NON-SGML
> >sections in a document.....(embedded perl...embedded
> >java...etc.).  This way we can stop the threat of w3's
> >obsolescence.
>
>         You are thinking only in terms of Netscape's "first pass"
> implementation of SCRIPT.  Look at it's generalization in the
> 08-Feb-96 W3C working draft for SCRIPT, and mentally update it's
> references to INSERT with the 12-Apr-96 OBJECT draft.  Here's
> what one of it's examples becomes, which appears to be exactly
> what you are seeking:
>
>     <object
>        id="perl"
>        classid="progid:Perl.Interpreter"
>        codebase="http://www.acme.com/perl/bin/perl.cab"
>     >
>     </object>
>     <script SCRIPTENGINE="#perl">
>              # perl script here
>              #
>     </script>

This syntax is comletely unacceptable for a language which may
have </script> or other non-sgml sequences embedded within the
script.

All we need to do is then add a separator tag to
<script>....this would prevent this from occurring in the cases
where a language may not be SGML compatible.

The lexer would have to "shift gears" after encountering a
<script> tag with a separator.