Re: What should I use for centering (DIV or P)

At 6:40p 04/15/96, Paul Prescod wrote:
>At 03:19 PM 4/15/96 -0700, Walter Ian Kaye wrote:
>>At 11:29p 04/15/96, Abigail wrote:
>>>The logical markup of the document is far more important than the layout
>>>hints. The attributes go with the elements; one doesn't use elements
>>>for the attributes.
>>
>>Ok Abigail, please tell us exactly how you use div. What structural purpose
>>does it serve, and why do you consider it unrelated to layout? You sound
>>like you are trying to enforce the letter of the law without caring about
>>anything else...
>
>   "The DIV element is used with the CLASS attribute to represent
>   different kinds of containers, e.g. chapter, section, abstract, or
>   appendix."

>   "The content model for DIV allows headers, lists, paragraphs
>   as well as other DIV elements etc. This allows DIVs to be nested, to
>   form hierarchies of chapters, sections, and subsections etc."
>
>ftp://ftp.ietf.cnri.reston.va.us/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-html-style-01.txt

Yeah, but who's to say that Heikki's usage won't be in a "section" or
"abstract"? To me, any consecutive series of related elements can be
considered a "section", and just because Heikki hadn't originally planned
to use div for structural purposes does not in itself invalidate its usage
for centering -- in fact, it could be that the document would benefit from
div, yet it was the thought of layout which brought it to mind! Not
everyone's left and right brains are so disconnected as Abigail's -- to
many of us, structure and layout (left and right brain) are intimately tied
to each other and *equally* important. If Abigail thinks her right brain is
less important than her left brain, well... I'm not qualified to comment on
that. All I know is that God gave us an equal portion of each, therefore
document presentation is equally important to document structure. Not less
important; equally important. I'm sick and tired of presentation being
treated as a second-class citizen. :/

-Walter